Sunday, April 7, 2013

Easter Dinner

Holy cow kids!  How is it that I've been so busy that I'm just now getting around to posting my Easter Dinner recipes?  Yikes am I slow!  Well hopefully my tardiness won't spoil your appetite for these delish recipes! (Yup, my stress levels are rising and so is the corniness factor)


In any case, here was our menu:
Ham with brown sugar, orange juice, & sprigs of thyme
    (I neglected to use orange zest & it was excellent without it)
Mashed potatoes with roasted garlic, heavy whipping cream, and lots 'o butter
Carmelized onion & cornbread dressing
    (the recipe calls for 2 onions but I only used 1 & it was still quite yummy)
Baked apples with a smattering of butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, apple juice & raisins
Hot fruit compote (recipe is below)
Squash casserole (recipe is below)
Asparagus mimosa

Hot fruit compote:
1 can (16oz) pear halves, drained
1 can (20 oz) pineapple chunks, drained
1 can (16 oz) peach halves, drained
1/4 cup butter, melted or cubed small-ish
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Directions:  place all in foil pan, place pan on grill for 20 to 25 min stirring often.  Obviously, I was not grilling  for Easter dinner, so I just placed everything in a baking dish and baked for about a half hour with whatever else was in the oven. I think I cooked it at about 350 degrees.

Squash casserole:
6 cups yellow squash, sliced (I used both yellow crookneck squash & zucchini)
1/4 cup chopped onion (I just used a whole, small-ish onion)
1 tsp salt
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup (8 oz) sour cream
1 cup shredded carrots (I used 2 carrots)
1 pkg (8 oz) seasoned stuffing mix
1/2 cup butter

Directions: In a large skillet, cook squash, onion, & salt in small amount of water until just tender, about 5 minutes. (although for me it took about 15 minutes)  Drain well. Combine soup with sour cream & carrots, fold gently into cooked squash.  Toss stuffing mix with melted butter. Spoon 1/2 of stuffing mix over bottom of greased 11" x 7" x 2" dish. Top with squash, then stuffing mix. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Makes 8 to 10 servings.

And can you believe that by the time I finished cooking, it never even occurred to me to stop and take a picture! We all just fell to eating and talking like it was Easter or something!

However, I will link to Martha Stewart's picture of her asparagus mimosa so you can see how pretty it looks with a shredded, hard-boiled egg as garnish.  And I was astounded to discover it tastes even better than it looks!

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment