Thursday, February 21, 2013

Christine's scarf

Hey there everybody!  Sorry to have neglected you all for so long, but I have been a busy little bee and I hope to make it up to you all with a crochet pattern.

A gal pal of mine asked me to crochet a scarf in warm fall colors using a ripple pattern, so I set to work.  For this project, I used worsted weight yarn because that was the only weight I could find at the store in an autumn-inspired variegated pattern.  It was still pretty soft, and had I seen this blog earlier on how to soften worsted or sport weight yarn, I would have treated the yarn first to make it especially snugly.  BTW, great creativity there SleepyCrochet on thinking of how to soften up affordable yarn to make it feel expensive!  Here goes the pattern I followed for my easy ripple:

Ch 22
Row 1:  dc in third ch and in next 2 ch, dc2tog skipping 2 ch in between, dc in next 3 ch; ch 2, dc in the next 3 ch, dc2tog skipping 2 ch in between, dc in next 2 ch, end work 2 dc in last ch, ch 2, turn.
Row 2:  dc in first dc and in the next 2, dc2tog skipping 1 stitch in between, dc in next 3 stitches, ch 2, dc in next 3 stitches; dc2tog skipping 1 stitch in between, dc in next 2 stitches, end work 2 dc in last stitch, ch 2, turn.
Row 3:  repeat row 2 for ripple pattern


I like to make my scarves long enough  so that when it is draped around your neck, the 2 ends meet somewhere around the thighs.  This gives enough length to wind it around in a multitude of ways!  Well, maybe just 2 or 3 ways, but saying "multitude" sounds much more optimistic, doesn't it?
Beware with the pictures listed below. After re-reading the directions and looking at these pictures, I think I took these pictures upside down.  Not that I was upside down, but I think I photographed the end of the scarf without noticing it wasn't the beginning.  But you're all a clever bunch of kids and I know you'll get my meaning!

You may notice that there's a little purple smudge on the bottom corner of the scarf.  That's actually not a smudge but my poor attempt at putting a purple smiley face on the scarf with a bit of needlework.  Christine is such a dear and exclaimed that it looked perfect, but I'm sure I could've thought of a better way to do the job.  It just escapes me...



No comments:

Post a Comment