Friday, December 6, 2013

Thanksgiving succotash


Hey there!  So I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, I know I did!  My family came over, we had plenty to eat and eggnog to drink, and by some early Christmas miracle I managed to have all of my side dishes hot and ready at the same time that the turkey was ready to serve!  How in the world?!?

My family is trying to eat a little healthier lately, not enough to give up boxed mac n cheese, but just enough to incorporate a few more veggies here and there.  So I went running to my cook books to dig though all of my many veggie recipes that I print out with the best of intentions that never seem to pan out as planned.  However, I did find a recipe from Melinda Lee for succotash.  After tasting the edamame succotash served at the Carnation Cafe on Main Street in Disneyland, I've been wanting to try my hand at making it at home.  I understand that succotash is a Native American combination of corn and beans.  The recipe I used from Melinda Lee uses baby lima beans, corn, & is topped with bacon.  Yup, we're nothing if not healthy!

Here's the recipe as it appears on Melinda's site:

Succotash:  Corn & Lima Beans with Cream and Bacon
2 cups, fresh or frozen baby limas (I used frozen)
2 cups, half-and-half
4 cups, corn kernels - from about 6 to 8 ears (I used canned and it was perfectly fine)
pepper (to taste)
8 strips bacon - fried until brown and crisp - coarsely chopped

Bring 4 cups of salted water to a boil in a medium-size pot.  Add the lima beans and cook them just until tender; about 4 to 5 minutes.  Bring the half-and-half to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.  Add the corn and reduce the heat to medium-low.

Cook, stirring occasionally, until the corn is just tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.  Remove from the heat.

Drain the lima beans and add them to the corn.  Taste, and season with salt and pepper.  Place in a serving bowl and top with the bacon.  (When I was making this recipe, I noticed my corn was still swimming in half-and-half after cooking, which didn't look quite to me, so I ended up draining most of the half-and-half.  The result was very yummy and everyone seemed to enjoy it.)

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment