Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Movie Night

It's October, that means pumpkin stew and scary movie night at my house!  When the evenings grow cooler and the afternoons are mild, I know it's time to host a movie night out in the back yard.  Hubby sets up our inflatable Disney outdoor screen and this year he even set up a cemetery in front.  Spooky!

Fog machines? Check. Tombstones? Check. Cemetery fence & giant pumpkin? Check. Comfortable, plastic seating with lots to eat & drink? Double check!


This year, I also tried out a recipe I found on Pinterest and found it to be wonderful.  I am so in love with little deep fried pumpkin fritters!  As you can see below, I used a 2.5" deep skillet and about 1" of oil to deep fry my fritters.  If you want the original recipe, you can find it at Simply Delicious and it is to die for!  However, I found a few of the ingredients to be completely unknown to me, so I just made do as best I could.  Here's my version, which I freely admit may or may not be exactly like the original but with different wording.  Who's to say?  Obviously not me.


Makes approximately 20 fritters

Fritters
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbs sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/8 tsp salt
about an inch of canola oil for deep frying

Caramel sauce
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbs butter
1/2 cup corn syrup
1 tsp salt

  • Combine all fritter ingredients and mix until you have a smooth batter
  • Heat the oil in a saucepan or skillet, the temp is about right when a 1" square of white bread browns in 60 seconds
  • Fry spoonfuls of the batter until golden brown and cooked throughout, about 2 to 3 minute
  • Remove from the oil and allow to drain on paper towel
  • Continue till all batter is cooked.  These little guys are so good I doubled the recipe.


  • To make the caramel sauce, combine all ingredients in a saucepan that allows plenty of room for sauce to expand as it cooks so it doesn't boil over.  I also doubled this recipe and ended up with way too much sauce for the fritters.
  • Cook over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the sauce is thick and glossy.  This step actually took me much longer because I used a barely-big-enough pan and my sauce kept boiling over when the temperature went too high.
  • Pour the syrup of the fritters and enjoy. Immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment