Thursday, June 7, 2012

Open and airy crocheted scarf

My friend Angie (who is such a good sport for putting up with all of my constant ribbing) asked me to crochet her another infinity scarf with an open and airy feel to it.  I searched through my crochet books and couldn't find anything that pleased me.  So I turned to the internet, searching pictures of crochet stitches and I found a picture that was close to what I wanted.  I played around with recreating, then adjusting the pattern to suit what I envisioned, and ended up with the scarf pictured below.
I started with Patons Silk Bamboo yarn in ivory because I wanted something soft and a bit thin to create a spidery look.  When I was crocheting, I simply kept working till I ran out of yarn and the scarf ended up being a little longer than I wanted.  Usually for an infinity scarf, I try to crochet till the loop of the scarf reaches from behind my neck to the bottom of my pants pockets.  That length allows the scarf to be doubled nicely around the neck.  As you can see this one is actually long enough to loop around three times.  I believe I used two skeins of yarn on this scarf.

I worked this design with the pattern alternating every fourth row.  The entire pattern is made up of single crochets, chains, and triple crochets.


Here's a closeup of the design:

Instructions:

Ch 46, turn.

Row 1:  Work tc in 4th ch from hook, ch 8. Sk next 8 ch, then [sc in next ch] 3 times, ch 8.  Sk next 8 ch. In next chain (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch, [sc in next ch] 3 times. Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch, then in last ch work 2 tc.  Ch 3, turn.

Row 2:  Essentially a repeat of row 1.  Work tc in 1st tc, ch 8.  Sk next 8 ch and [sc in next sc] 3 times, 8ch. Sk next 8 ch. In next ch 1 space work (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch and [sc in next sc] 3 times. Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch, then in last tc of row work 2 tc. Ch 3, turn.

Row 3:  Repeat row 2 except for last ch 3.  Instead, only ch 1, turn.

Row 4:  [Work sc in previous tc] 2 times, ch 8.  Sk next 8 ch and next sc. In 2nd sc of cluster, work (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch. In next ch 1 space work 3 sc. Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch and 1st sc. In 2nd sc of cluster, work (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch. In last 2 tc of the row, sc on top of each. Ch 1, turn.

Row 5:  Essentially a repeat of row 4. [Sc in next sc] 2 times, ch 8. Sk next 8 ch and in next ch 1 space work (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch. [Sc in next sc] 3 times. Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch and in next ch 1 space work (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch. [Sc in next sc] 2 times to finish off row. Ch 1, turn.

Row 6:  Repeat row 5 except for last ch 1.  Instead, ch 3, turn.

Row 7:  Work tc in 2nd sc, ch 8.  Sk next 8 ch and in next ch 1 space work 3 sc.  Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch and 1st sc.  In 2nd sc of cluster, work (2 tc, ch 1, 2 tc). Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch. In next ch 1 space work 3 sc. Ch 8 and sk next 8 ch, then in last sc work 2 tc. Ch 3, turn


Repeat rows 2-7 until desired length is reached.  If you plan to attach the ends to create an infinity scarf, try to end on a row that reflects row 6 as that will be compatible with row 1.

In an effort to get the scarf to hold its shape, I did engage in very mild blocking.  What I did was I rinsed it in cool water and a little dish washing soap.  I rinsed and squeezed but did not wring or twist.  I then laid out a beach towel on the floor and spread the scarf flat on top of it.  I then rolled the towel to remove excess moisture.  I then unrolled it and spread it out flat to dry over the course of a day.  After doing this, the scarf did seem to hang a little better and look more airy as opposed to simply looking tangled.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment