Thursday, March 29, 2012

Blocking disapointment

So as you all know, I'm always on the lookout for new and exciting crochet patterns & stitches.  When I find something that I can't easily figure out on my own, my little heart goes pitter patter and I get all flustered and giddy.  That's exactly how I felt when I purchased a crochet pattern for a scarf earlier this month.  It was a large rectangle, as most scarves are wont to be.  But this scarf had unexplainable and inexplicable round holes in it.  The pattern looked completely random and when worked in a delicious green yarn it looked organic like vines or seaweed.  It was simply divine and unlike anything I have seen before.  Once my eagerly-anticipated pattern arrived, I cannot begin to describe my disappointment in my purchase.  Turns out the whole thing was worked with double crochet and chain stitch.  When the garment is complete, you need to block the piece to achieve the desired effect.

For those of you not familiar with blocking, it's simply washing the garment and laying flat to dry.  I admit, this does not sound overly taxing and should not account for my dismay.  The point that really got to me though is that in order for the hundreds of little gaps in the garment to become round holes, you need to stretch and shape each one as it dries.  Yikes!  I love detailed work but even for me that sounds rather tedious!  Then once the garment is shaped and dried, the process will need to be repeated each time it is washed.  I was hoping to add this scarf to my repertoire of products that I quickly finish and list in my shop.  Alas, not only is this project not a quick one due to its apparent randomness, it is one that would require extensive care instructions for my buyer.  I couldn't stick some poor unsuspecting person with that much work if they want a clean scarf. 

So in lieu of creating wonderful flowing scarves as I hoped to be doing, I've been regrouping.  Considering doing some needlepoint samplers with very cute & witty sayings.  Purchasing light weight fleece to make adorable baby blankets.  Crocheting baby blankets for people at work.  And writing up crochet instructions for small projects such as gloves and hats.  I admit, not the most timely project to undertake at the start of Spring, but I'm hoping selling instructions will be the stress-free way to get my sales numbers up for my shop. 


No comments:

Post a Comment