Thursday, February 23, 2012

Alternating Catherine Wheels? Maybe...

In my previous post I simply gushed about a cute little slouchy hat pattern that I recently bought.  The main body of the hat, which covers the back of the head when worn, is a familiar pattern which made it easy to whip up.  My only problem is knowing what the name of that stitch is so I can speak about it half way intelligently.

The stitch is made up of two rows.  The bottom row is made up of a series of double crochet stitches which are all stitched together to create the bottom half of a circle.  The upper row is made up of double crochet stitches radiating out from the center of the half circle below, which creates the top half of the circle.

I've seen directions for this stitch in one of the many Leisure Arts stitch books and they call it Alternating Wheels.  I've also seen some pictures online of other stitches which are sometimes similar in appearance, and those are usually called Catherine Wheels.  Hmmm.....

In any case, I wanted to use this opportunity to show off pictures of the sweet little girly blanket that I made for myself last year.  I used this same stitch and alternated between white, light pink, and dark pink rows.  Wouldn't you just know it, but I can't seem to find the directions anywhere for this blanket to verify the name.  But it is a lovely stitch with nice texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment