Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Fourth of July Recipe



I hope everyone had a fan - tabulous fourth of July weekend!  I know I did!  My mom came over with some home-made fried chicken, my husband barbequed some ribs, and I tried out a new recipe for a great summer salad!  Enjoy!!

Grilled Corn & Butter Bean Salad, as appears in the book Ultimate Book of BBQ:  The Complete Year-Round Guide to Grilling & Smoking by Christopher Prieto (printed by Southern Living).  (please note that the above picture is shamelessly borrowed from the above mentioned cook book.)

1 (16oz) package frozen butter beans*
4 ears fresh corn, husks removed
1 large red onion, cut into thick slices
1 large red bell pepper, cut into thick rings
3/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, pressed (I just minced mine since I couldn't find my garlic press)
1 tsp table salt
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 cup halved grape tomatoes

1.  Cook butter beans according to package directions; drain and cool completely (about 20 minutes)
2.  Meanwhile, preheat grill to 350 degrees to 400 degrees (medium-high) heat.  Grill corn, covered with grill lid, 15 minutes or until done, turning every 4-5 minutes.  (Some kernels will begin to char and pop.)  At the same time, grill onion and bell pepper, covered with grill lid, 5 minutes on each side or until tender.  Cool all vegetables completely (about 20 minutes).
3.  Cut kernels from cobs.  Discard cobs.  Chop onion and bell pepper into 1/2 inch pieces.
4. Stir together mayonnaise and next 5 ingredients.  Stir in tomatoes, corn kernels, and onion and pepper pieces.  Add salt to taste.  Cover and chill 2 to 8 hours before serving.  Sore in refrigerator up to 3 days.

*fresh butter beans may be substituted.  (Or if you're like me and can't find butter beans, frozen lima beans work well too.  They're just the immature form of the butter bean...  I think....)

No comments:

Post a Comment